Hello, Darlings! Today’s topic is Keto Diet-How To Do A Beef And Butter Fast. Some people on the Keto Diet have no problem losing weight, especially the younger generation. But, they do not have years of carb addiction and insulin resistance to work through.
For me, it has been slow going and at times I have been so discouraged I wanted to just quit. It takes time to adapt your body to burning fat as fuel instead of glucose (sugar/carbs). So I tried to stress my metabolism with a Beef And Butter Fast.
Keto Diet- How To Do A Beef And Butter Fast
**This post contains affiliate links. When you shop through my links, it helps support my website (at no additional cost to you), so thank you
Stressing Your Metabolism With A Beef And Butter Fast
Like any diet, it takes time for your body to adjust. In the meantime, my body is not giving up any weight. Nope, it is holding on to it tight. So sometimes we need to… trick it into submission. One way to do that is to fast.
Fasting is a great way to encourage your body to use up all it’s glycogen stores and start burning fat. But, if you are not totally “fat adapted” this may cause your body to go into starvation mode. Without being fat adapted you will not get the benefits of fasting, you will just be hungry, cranky, with little to no weight loss. The goal is to up the metabolism and burn fat.
First Fast Is For Fat Adaptation- Beef And Butter Fast
My first fast is Beef and Butter Fast. It is really not a true fast, but more like restricted eating. The rules are simple, ZERO carbs, and eliminate all other items you are eating on the Keto Diet. This includes nuts, avocados, eggs, and dairy/cheese. You are to concentrate on protein and fats. The goal is to kick start the metabolism but also see if any of these items are cause stalls in your Keto Diet. If you are having trouble getting into ketosis, Beef and Butter Fast will do it quickly.
You will do this fast for 3-5 days, then slowly add back the other keto friendly items in your diet. This is a great time to evaluate each item added back and see how your body reacts.
Supplies You Will Need For Beef And Butter Fast
The Beef And Butter Fast is simple so the supplies are simple. You will need to go to the grocery and get the following supplies
- Ground beef that is 80% lean
- REAL butter- I like Kerry Gold Salted Butter
- Fatty Steak- such as ribeye
- Other fatty meats
- MCT Oil
- Spices- no sugar, no dextrose (which is also sugar)** Love Trader Joes’ Chilli Lime seasonings and 21 Seasoning Salute
- Plastic Storage Containers
- Hand-held frother for butter coffee
- Bone Broth
If you are not a beef person, check out Jennifer from Beef and Butter Fast Challenge’s substitution list for more ideas
How Much Beef Do I Eat?
There are no hard fast rules here. The idea is to eat until you feel full during this fast. If you need a measurement use 3-6 ounces of beef or other protein, but you MUST eat it with fat (such as butter) Note, avocados do have carbs so you will want to stay away from them during this fast time.
This diet/fasting is about HIGH fat so try to eat 3 tablespoons of high-quality butter (such as Kerry Gold) at the same time you eat your beef. The idea is to achieve satiety. You want to know what it feels like to be full, not hunger, satisfied. Learning what satiety is will help with curbing cravings down the road.
What I Ate On The Beef And Butter Fast
- Coffee at 8 am with MCT Oil
- Lunch around 12 noon with 2 cups of ground beef (80/20) cooked in butter, drained. In a bowl, I added the cooked beef and 2 TBS of butter with Trader Joes Chili Lime Seasonings. Actually very good.
- Drinking water throughout the day with electrolytes (Dr. Berg Electrolytes Powder)
- Dinner at 6:30 ribeye steak (8 ounces) served with 2 TBS of butter that has been mixed with Trader Joes’ 21 Seasoning Salute
Woke up feeling a little light-headed. I stepped on the scale and lost 3lbs. Ketones measuring 1.5 at 5 am. Not hungry what so ever, and have a terrible taste in my mouth (part of ketosis).
- Morning coffee at 8 am with MCT oil
- Mid-morning, my guts are not happy. For lunch at 12 had 6 ounces of leftover ribeye steak with 2 tbs of butter and 21 Seasoning Salute
- Dinner time, unexpected company, and they brought food. Ate 4 ounces of steak and salad with greek dressing (6 carbs).
- Felt hungry later that evening, did not eat enough fat today
- Morning weigh-in, I added back a pound from yesterday. Ketones measuring 4
- Coffee at 6 am with MCT oil and heavy whipping cream.
- Lunch at 10:30, I am hungry today. Two cups ground beef with 2 tbs of butter and Trader Joes’ Chili Lime Seasoning
- Dinner at 6 pm with leftover ribeye and 2 tbs of butter with 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joes.
***If you are not hungry and don’t think you can take another bite of beef, try sipping on some bone broth.
Benefits Of Beef And Butter Fast
More Resources On Beef And Butter Fast
Jennifer Garza from Low Carb Inspiration created the Beef and Butter Fast to help her overcome her weight loss stall while on the Keto Diet. She created a challenge and a Facebook group (do not think it is active anymore) but the results from the group were amazing. Jennifer lost 4.7 lbs during the fast.
- Check out her Beef And Butter Fast page for great recipes.
- Frequently Asked Questions the Beef And Butter Fast
Check out video below where Dr. Bosworth and Jennifer Garza discuss the Beef and Butter Fast
Ultimately the goal of the Beef And Butter Fast is to stimulate weight loss and help your body work thru a weight plateau. It will get you into ketosis quickly and will keep you there. I expect to gain some of my weight loss back but hope to jump start my metabolism into a fat burning mode.
My results are weight loss- 3 lbs. But best of all, I broke my plateau. My weight did not go up and a week after I lost an additional pound. The Beef And Butter Fast is great for breaking a weight plateau or getting back on track after falling off the “keto wagon”.