Today we are going to talk about preparing your home for fall/winter and pre-preparations for the holidays. Here in Alabama, the seasons seemed to change overnight. Not only do we have the time change to deal with, but there are tasks that need to be done with the changing of the seasons.
Preparing Your Home For Fall/Winter- Pre-Preparation For The Holidays
The summer is over and the house could use a little bit of attention. It seems that the change in daily light has emphasized every cobweb and dust bunny but mostly the dirty windows
Here is a list of cleaning task to get you ahead for the season
- Cleaning ceiling fan/light fixtures
- Window ceiling
- Removing cobweb/dust bunnies
- Dusting/ cleaning dishes/silver/ china you will be using during the holidays
- Have the chimney cleaned (especially if you have a wood-burning fireplace)
- If you change out your wardrobe for the season, now is a good time to take care of that task
Check Out Spring Cleaning The Nest for additional cleaning tips and my favorite products
Household Seasonal Tasks
These are tasks that need to be tended to for the change of the seasons. Use these November days to take care of these so you will not have issues during the holidays.
- Change batteries in your smoke detector
- Check the expiration date on fire extinguisher-replace if necessary
- Change air filters
- Clean gutters of leaves
- Check window seals for leaks
- Removing any seasonal items/cushions in preparations for the holiday decorations
- Bringing in delicate plants
- Tidy up yard debris (leaves, sticks, nuts)
Check Out Sprucing UP The Nest Outside
Serving And Baking Needs
As you start to plan your Thanksgiving menu, now is a good time to go through your linens/serving pieces to see what holes you have and what may need to be replaced.
- Clean/ iron tablecloths and napkins
- Check for serving pieces
- Plan your Thanksgiving tablescape and fill in holes in decor
- Check your pantry for basic baking supplies- check the expiration dates
- Start making a list of pantry needs for holidays
- Check foil/baking wraps/storage containers/take-home containers
***Thanksgiving-themed decor and dishes/tablecloths/napkins will sell out quickly. So now is a great time to take an inventory before you have to panic buy. The good news is that is will be on sale so stock up in anticipation of a growing family (grandchildren/new son/daughter inlaws).
Tomorrow we are going to talk Thanksgiving decor to help you plan your table and get your home ready for guests.